Tax Director – Governance & Operations
Job ID: 573321
Job type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: North Ryde
Categories: Finance & Administration, Management
Who we are
Downer is the leading provider of integrated services in Australia and New Zealand. Through trusted relationships and world leading insight we work closely with our customers to design, build and sustain assets, infrastructure and facilities.
If you have a passion for process improvement, transformation and ensuring effective governance of tax matters, this is the role you have been looking for!
Playing a key role implementing our tax strategy, as a senior leader in the tax function, you will manage and support the team to achieve our strategic goals and ensure the operational effectiveness of our tax governance framework and tax compliance and reporting obligations.
We are focused on innovating and driving change with an absolute commitment to excellence. The role will require a strong professional who is resilient, agile and adept at driving change within a very dynamic business environment by identifying and implementing process improvement and automation throughout the tax compliance and tax reporting processes, which will require an intimate understanding of the business, systems and processes, supported by strong tax technical expertise.
Reporting to the Head of Tax, the Tax Director will be critical to the continued development and improvement of tax reporting and compliance processes and providing assurance that tax risks for the Downer group are well managed within the overarching governance framework. The role will require you to work closely with various stakeholders including Internal Audit, the business and external advisers.
Make this role your own
As an ambitious, innovative, and driven tax professional, your key responsibilities will include:
- Articulate the tax strategy, and manage its execution within the overall tax risk management framework
- Oversee and update tax policies and procedures to ensure the operational effectiveness of the tax governance framework, including testing appropriate controls in respect of tax risks working with external advisers or the internal audit team
Compliance and reporting
- Coordinate, oversee and deliver the tax compliance and financial reporting obligations for the Downer group, with access to an experienced and high performing compliance team. This includes the filing of tax returns and sign-off on tax provisions for financial reporting purposes
- Manage the relationship with the statutory auditor in respect of tax matters
- Lead the team to strategically manage and resolve tax reviews, audits, investigations and litigation with revenue authorities across all taxes
- Maintain cooperative and constructive relationships with revenue authorities to effectively manage Downer’s tax compliance requirements
- Maintain strong relationships with business stakeholders to support tax deliverables and ensure the team can provide effective tax advice on day-to-day or routine operational matters
- Oversee the team to deliver on all cross-border compliance and reporting obligations, including Downer’s compliance with country-by-country reporting requirements, and support Downer’s ongoing commitment to tax transparency, including production of the annual tax transparency report
- Oversee the group’s R&D tax incentive and coordinate external advisory support
- Drive the delivery of the Tax Transformation Program in an environment that is hardworking and energetic, with a focus on change and evolution. This will include a continuous focus on automation, process improvement and co-sourcing or outsourcing opportunities to extract efficiencies, improve control or reduce cost;
- Manage the co-source and outsource arrangements with external advisers in respect of tax compliance obligations
- Assist with the preparation of tax updates to the Audit & Risk Committee and other key stakeholders
- Develop and oversee the tax budget and work with the Finance team to develop business forecasts
- Lead, coach and motivate staff to leverage and develop strengths and foster talent
To be successful in the role you will have experience operating collaboratively and have genuine interest in developing staff and promoting a fit-for-purpose best practice approach to everything we do. As a self-starter your strong track record of consistently driving results, taking a positive, proactive “can-do” approach and showing initiative will mean you can have an impact that matters in this role.
Qualifications and attributes
- Tertiary qualifications in accounting, business or law and CPA/CA or Masters of Tax;
- At least 12 to 15 years of relevant tax experience having trained in a Big 4 environment and experience in a large ASX listed corporate preferred;
- Experience embedding a tax governance framework and tax compliance transformation through either process improvement, automation or outsourcing;
- Ability to innovate and resilience to drive business change with an absolute commitment to excellence, coupled with the ability to make the case for change to bring staff along;
- Extensive experience in tax compliance and tax accounting, including strong tax-effect accounting skills, corporate tax technical skills and sound knowledge covering indirect and employment taxes;
- Results driven with a commitment to improving business performance;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and project and stakeholder management skills;
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop a high performing team.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note – resume applications will not be accepted via email.
How to apply
To apply for this great opportunity please click the apply now button
Closing Date: AUS Eastern Daylight Time