Strategic Researchers, Writers and Capability Analysts
Downer Defence Systems provides professional consulting services to the Australian Government. We are expanding beyond our Defence work to engage across all levels of government, and in projects that have a strategic and research focus. We have several opportunities for apprentice to senior strategic researchers and writers to join our multidisciplinary teams. Our supportive and collaborative teams are typically located in strategic capability development and leadership areas of government. The roles will engage and challenge high performing candidates to think broadly, build your understanding of how decisions are made within large and complex branches of government, and how best to build and communicate a case for government approval.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders including program and project teams, assurance groups/agencies, government officials, and Downer teams across the Professional Services Portfolio
- Provide independent and strategic writing and advice, assurance, and guidance relating to business strategy and planning, research, service design, content strategy, and/or policy development and implementation.
- Understand trends, describe business scenarios or options, and assist to communicate these to diverse stakeholders
- Research different topics using varied research methodologies and present findings to clients in different formats according to their needs.
- Help develop practical investment/government approval documentation (for example business cases), communications, strategies, and plans across diverse capability and business needs
- Participate as an engaged member of the Strategy, Research and Writing team
- Collaboratively plan, deliver, and review team deliverables within agreed timeframes
- Participate in the research, development and documentation of best practice strategic writing, assurance, and communications. Contribute to the team's knowledge centre, ongoing shared development, and Community of Practice.
- Contribute to the business development of the Strategy, Research and Writing Practice across the Downer Professional Services portfolio including tender/bid development and review, provision of expert guidance to other projects, and communications activities.
- Contribute to the development of Downer’s ideas leadership in the public and private sector through publications, seminars, conferences, and other forms of public idea generation.
Experience/ Skills Sought
- Demonstrated aptitude and/or experience in writing of clear concise documentation, communications, strategies, plans, reports and publications
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships, liaise and discuss strategy, research and writing activities with business and technical personnel
- A passion for helping clients and the team to solve and communicate complex problems
- Lateral and critical thinking, creative thinking, analytical skills.
- An ability to pivot in subject focus and learn technical and non-technical knowledge quickly.
- Strong research knowledge and skills (scholarly and applied) with the ability to apply these to different subjects, disciplines, and contexts using a range of methodological approaches and research reporting techniques.
- Professional discretion
- Experience working in government, a professional services environment, consultation, or research. Defence experience would be desirable, but other professional experience combined with the right skills will be highly regarded.
- An ability to multi-task and prioritise tasking to meet short deadlines for clients or internal business needs.
- Higher Degree Tertiary qualifications, preferably with a research component. There is flexibility in the field of study, strong social science degrees, business, digital, economics, legal, anthropology, sociology, history and similar backgrounds will be well regarded.
- Competitive salary package
- Access to Downer career development, financial, health and lifestyle benefits
- Work and lifestyle balance
- Opportunity to work in a diverse, innovative, and supportive environment that is growing and changing
Due to client requirements, candidates must have the ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Government Security Vetting Agency security clearance at the appropriate level (must be an Australian citizen).
For further information please contact Emma Smith, Talent Lead – email@example.com
To apply please click “ Apply For This Job ”
(Please note: Downer Group does not accept applications via email).
Back to search results