Chief Network Engineer - Defence
Downer Defence Systems provides a broad range of professional and managed services, asset sustainment and estate upkeep services to the Australian Defence Force, the New Zealand Defence Force and other government agencies.
Downer Defence Systems, combining the footprint and capability of Downer and Spotless, is one of the only integrated services companies that has a whole of Defence Capability Life Cycle offering and mindset. Our Sovereign Industry Capability delivers to the needs of Defence, National Security organisations, the major Primes and other government agencies.
As an ADM Top 10 Defence Contractor, we are a proven and trusted long-term partner, committed to diversity and inclusiveness and to growing Australia’s Defence industry with the participation of Small to Medium Enterprises.
Downer Defence Systems is seeking to engage a Chief Engineer to provide and coordinate engineering advice to inform design, technical certification (under ICT TAF) and associated documentation to deliver the program system to Army. The successful candidate will also be required to review and comment on resource allocation and use across the program to ensure risks in delivery and documentation requirements are identified and mitigated.
The appointed resource will work closely with existing PMOs that are delivering the backbone of the network and its associated projects. It is therefore essential that appointed resources will be capable of working in a small team environment to leverage the existing team’s knowledge and experience.
As the successful candidate you will be required to fulfill the following tasks:
- Oversee engineering efforts in program design and delivery of project requirements within the technical framework.
- Oversee, plan and ensure internal engineering working groups are conducted to support project governance and participate in external working groups to represent the project.
- Oversee and ensure documentation for system design and maintenance of configuration of solution is completed throughout the project lifecycle.
- Supervising staff – as required, manage Defence, APS and contracted personnel embedded within or in support of projects.
- Take a lead role in engineering problem identification and solution development across the programs projects in LAND 4125.
- Oversee the calculation of costs, material, labour and time requirements required for each project.
- Ensure the programs projects are compliant with relevant Commonwealth Government security and engineering standards (e.g. ISM, ICT TAF, DEFCAMMAN).
- Understanding of network topology including RBAC and AD.
- Demonstrated background and experience in ICT engineering.
- Demonstrated background in understanding of ADF networks (understanding JS-L would be highly desirable).
- Relevant technical qualification in System Engineering and/or Network Engineering.
- More than ten years relevant industry and/or ADF experience.
- Demonstrated experience of managing multi-discipline engineering teams and a track record of completed/closed projects and/or programs.
- Highly effective written skills to support documentation requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work in an agile team environment.
- Detailed understanding of Department policy frameworks around network design and compliance.
- An experienced Systems/Network Engineer preferably with Defence experience who is looking to develop their career in a prominent professional services business.
- Enjoy working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment in collaboration with other like-minded team members and adjacent project teams (also delivering a variation of the system);
- Have a strong ICT project management background; and
- Have an understanding of ADF networks and capabilities employed within the ADF.
- Understanding & practical experience working within a Defence project, quality assurance & business improvement process practices and targeted & effective business solutions and outcomes.
- Experience in building trusted & valued relationships with project team members, customers & partners.
- Must hold an Australian Government security clearance (NV1 level and above).
Candidates must be Australian citizens with a minimum NV1 security clearance. Applicants residing outside of Australia or non-citizens will not be considered.
Back to search results