Principal Mechanical Engineer – Water & Technology
Who We Are
Downer is the leading provider of integrated services in Australia and New Zealand. Through trusted relationships and world leading insight we work closely with our customers to design, build and sustain assets, infrastructure, and facilities.
About the Role
Due to internal promotion, Downer’s engineering division has a vacancy for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our Water & Technology group based in our Sydney office. Reporting to the Lead Engineer and working collaboratively within a multi-discipline team, this position will provide technical engineering expertise on the mechanical requirements specific to our Water Utilities project group.
- Demonstrated design experience in Sewer and Water Infrastructure Design Substantial Experience working on Water Infrastructure / Network Projects
- Demonstrated Experience in design Treatment Plants
- Sewer and Water Hydraulic/ Flow Modelling experience
- Steady State Analysis and Water Hammer Modelling experience – desirable
- Sound understanding of other engineering disciplines and how they inter-relate
- A confident communicator with the ability to interpret and translate technical information as required
- Well organised with a track-record in meeting timeframes and working within budgets
- Understanding of safety in design practices and processes
- Strong work ethic and genuine passion for your craft
Our Requirements For This Role Are
Principal Engineers will have a minimum 15 years’ of relevant experience and recognised expertise in their chosen discipline. They will have extensive experience in the design and delivery of water and wastewater treatment plants or electrical substations, whilst showing:
- Relevant Tertiary Qualification, preferably a Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Member of Engineers Australia and hold CPEng and REPQ accreditation
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to deal diplomatically and effectively with senior management, Clients, Design Managers, external sub consultants, suppliers and staff.
- Highly developed negotiation skills, with a passion to motivate and develop team talent.
- Capacity to operate as an effective and collegial member of a team, in a highly competitive, fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint)
- Professional presentation skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expert technical knowledge and skills in their chosen discipline.
- Exposure to a broad range of technologies and design techniques in chosen discipline.
- Ability to analyse complex issues, apply effective problem-solving skills and develop feasible and practical solutions.
- Project and bid management skills and broad understanding of design and construction project management systems, multi-disciplinary input requirements to a project, estimating, commissioning and operations.
- Thorough understanding of construction practices within the water or power sectors.
- Experience of business development in a commercial environment.
- Relevant industry experience in a consulting environment and in design and construct projects.
- Good professional network in water or power sector.
- Commercial acumen. Understand market value of professional services in the marketplace.
- Understanding of business drivers for a professional service (consulting business) and for a turn-key contractor.
- Proven ability to prioritise, work with minimal supervision and work under pressure, ability to handle multiple projects and conflicting demands.
WHAT WE OFFER
- A challenging and diverse organisation and client portfolio, where your skills and experience will be utilised daily to create innovative Engineering designs.
- An organisational culture where your opinion is encouraged & valued, and your thoughts can make a difference.
- A large organisation where you can develop and progress your career.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information, please contact Rose Collins – Recruitment and Sourcing Business Partner Infrastructure Projects Rose.Collins@downergroup.com. Applications will not be accepted by email.
Our aim is to create a workplace where people are respected and encouraged to fulfil their potential. We embrace all employee difference and foster a culture that supports diversity and inclusion.
Back to search results